Saturday, November 17, 2012

Choices

A movie poster from the first film of The Lord of The Rings hangs on a wall in our home.  It is matted and appropriately framed with a Celtic design. An inset in the matting displays the words of Gandalf, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given." Reading this I ponder my own decisions.

Then I remember two scriptural admonitions: Choose this day whom you will serve and the question Jesus often asked,"What do you want me to do for you?"

We sometimes come to this point in our conversation with our Lord, blurt out a wish, or a need, or a plaintive, "I don't know. I need my life fixed. Please help!" Sometimes we know what we want, and we ask. Or we have thought through our request and answer, "Thy will be done." Sometimes we don't have any conversation at all. We trust His watch care, His will working out within our lives, and we push on doing what we know or feel is the right thing to do.

I don't have any answers. I have experienced all of the above.

Life is made of little decisions.  God help us to make the ones that please Him.

3 comments:

  1. I love that statement by Gandalf. It's what our free will is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful reflection. I've always liked that statement from Gandalf, too, as well as the reference from Joshua. I never thought how they fit into each other so neatly.

    ReplyDelete